The Voices


First day jitters gnawed at my heart – What would they think of me? Do they even see me as a friend? Or even a person? Am I even noticeable to them… – School was reopening today to start the new semester – God… why am I even here? In this class? In this school? – I used to love school and seeing my classmates because we bonded so well after Year One but that didn’t last for long – Should I just leave? No one will miss me… –  When second year started, we were so close but… hit mid-year, they were all drifting apart… Come third year, we practically weren’t friends anymore – But what if I cause trouble? – I spent most of third year jumping from group to group, trying to find my place in the world but always came up empty-handed – What do I do? – I finally found a place but it was only temporary. I mixed with friends and found a great one – But what’s the use of having friends nowhere near you? – They understood me, but they were classes away – Would it have been better if I just kept to myself? – Don’t get me wrong, I love my life and everything but what’s the point of living a lonely life?

They are great friends that endured all my ridiculous mistakes – Because you’re nothing but a failure – I laughed and smiled with them, sure that made me happy – But what? But nothing, you just pity yourself for being pathetic – I am pathetic… I am weak… I’m hurt… I’m broken… and this isn’t a fairy tale where my prince rescues me or where I have a sudden revelation that I don’t need people around me because the cold hard is that I do; that I can’t help myself; that I’m waiting for someone to help me, that I hate being alone…

My teacher smiles at me… plastering a fake grin on my face, I greet her good morning in a soft voice, locking my train of thought about the past in the depths of my brain. Forcing myself to think happy. I greet my classmates with a smile, a fake grin and tell them about my holiday – Not that they even care… - because that’s just me…Nothing more than a mask of false expressions to get me through the day… but at the back of my mind… It whispers:
“You’re all alone…”

No comments:

Post a Comment